This project entailed a rather contemporary addition to an existing antique colonial house. The original house is circa 1681 and was restored under a separate contract to original detail and construction.
The addition of a new kitchen and bathroom and later a new family room, is contemporary in its interior and its general construction and materials. However, the general architecture of the exterior is consistent with the original, complete with wood shingle roof.
The house sits in the historic district of town, therefore all exterior detail visible from the street must meet the local Historic District Commission's approval. Only the areas not so visible were permitted to reflect any contemporary architectural details.